History of the HM Hochschule München University of Applied Sciences
Hochschule München University of Applied Sciences was founded in 1971 as a result of the concerted efforts of directors, teachers and students of engineering schools at the end of the turbulent 1960s. Engineering education was to be reformed, and the higher technical schools were to be upgraded in the higher education sector. Technical schools in the fields of business, social sciences and design joined in.
Even the predecessor institutions of Hochschule München University of Applied Sciences have an eventful history. The tradition of the Departments of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geoinformatics goes back 200 years to when their predecessor, the Baugewerkschule, began holding regular lectures.
Today's diverse HM has grown over the decades. The timeline shows how the range of courses has changed, how new degrees have altered the education landscape and what else has determined HM's fortunes.
Come with us on a journey through time!
After "more than 32 master builders from the countryside" had come forward in the previous November, Hermann Mitterer, a teacher at the Feiertagsschule, held a special building trade class at the beginning of 1821.
Gustav Vorherr, who had been the district building inspector of the Isar district since 1809, had had the goal of standardizing the Bavarian building industry years earlier. In 1810, he wrote a memorandum on the organization of a state school for the building trades.
In the picture on the left: Building craftsmen around 1800, right: Gustav Vorherr
Source: Photo Gustav Vorherr from Selzer, Staatsbauschule, p. 24
On April 10, 1823, the Bavarian Ministry of the Interior approved the continuation of building trades instruction at a separate building trades school under the supervision of Gustav Vorherr – the oldest direct precursor of today's Hochschule München University of Applied Sciences.
Source: Bavarian Main State Archives, MK 22637